Eat, Buy, Learn, Share
WHEN: Various, through autumn
WHERE: 42 Newington Causeway, Elephant & Castle, Southwark, London, SE1 6DR
COST: Free to enter (some events and food at cost)
What better way to spend cosy autumn days than at your favourite sustainable community food market?
Mercato Metropolitano, which is also opening a sister site in Elephant Park in the coming months, has a feast of warming autumnal treats in store over the next few weeks.
From pumpkin carving to film nights, singer-songwriters to even soap making, Mercato has something for everyone as the evenings close in.
As founder of Mercato and self-acclaimed chief executive ‘dreamer’, Andrea Rasca puts it; the focus is on all things seasonal – with both food and activities based around this special time of year.
“October is definitely here (along with the wind, rain and colder weather!). There’s not one simple answer to finding a sustainable diet, but eating seasonal is a step in the right direction.
“A seasonal food supply is good not only for the planet, but also for our health. We’re going to promote one seasonal product each month to customers.”
- Until 25th October – London Contemporary Art Exhibition
- 25th October – Live acoustic performance for London Contemporary
- 26th October – Kids film evening (Hocus Pocus, Casper, Addams Family)
- 29th October – Israeli signer-songwriter Sagi Rei (free entry)
- 31st October – Vintage horror films (The Rocky Horror Picture Show and The Silence of the Lambs)
- 26th October – Kids Pumpkin carving and face painting
- 29th October – Pizza, bread and focaccia with Chef Gabriele
- 30th October – Halloween melt & pour soap making
Visit the Mercato website for full details.
‘Founders Without Borders’ launched, supporting refugee chefs. Muzzafar Sadykov, an Uzbekistani chef who founded Oshpaz, will be the first to start his adventure in Mercato.
In addition, the ‘Female Food Founders’ programme supported the launch of Ze Spätzle Club, which is now operating across two sites in Mercato, and will soon move to a larger space in the market.
- Juici Jerk with their tasty Caribbean dishes and fresh juices. A must-try explosion of flavours.
- Oshpaz – Uzbek traditional cuisine recipes including Plov: slow cooked lamb on the bone simmered with rice, vegetables and traditional Uzbek spices in a giant cast-iron pot.
- Discover the authentic Spanish taste new pop up ‘Black Pig With White Pearls’. Their menu includes bocadillos with grilled black iberico pork, vegan chorizo, octopus and prawn and slow cooked oxtail.
- Asian fusion wraps from Your Mums Truck, including tempura prawn, buffalo chicken & miso tofu.